Taco Puff Pockets
The Taco Puff Pockets are the stuff food dreams are made of: golden flaky pastry layers stuffed with seasoned beef, juicy tomatoes and sharp cheddar cheese. I’m swooning! If you already love my Pizza Pockets then I promise you’re going to love the taco version just as much! These are deceptively simple to make and they’re great paired with a salad, rice or veggies for lunch or dinner or served as finger food while watching the game or having friends over. Plus each of these Taco Puff Pockets is just 142 calories or 5 WW SmartPoints on the Green, Blue and Purple plans!
Hungry for more lightened up Mexican-inspired recipes? Check out my Easy Taco Cups, Taco Chicken Salad, Spicy Steak Tacos with Southwest Guacamole, Layered Chicken Enchilada Bake, Fiesta Potato Rounds, Spicy Taco Gnocchi Skillet, Beef Enchilada Quinoa Bake, Spicy Beef Taquitos, Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Shells, Doritos Taco Salad, Mexi Meatloaf Muffins, Enchilada Cheese Rolls, Beefy Enchilada Skillet Dip, Mexican Lasagna Roll-Ups, Chicken Enchilada Skillet, Chicken Tortilla Soup, Shredded Mexican Chicken, Taco Wrap Deluxe and many more in the Mexican section of my recipe index!
Taco Puff Pockets
Yield: 9 pockets
- 4 oz uncooked 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted per package instructions (I used Pepperidge Farms)
- 1 egg*
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Place the ground beef in a skillet and bring over medium heat. Cook, breaking up with a spoon until cooked through and broken into small pieces. Add the tablespoon of water, the taco seasoning and the red pepper flakes and stir together until well combined. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the chopped tomatoes and shredded cheddar and stir until combined.
- On a clean, dry surface sprinkle a small amount of flour to prevent sticking and lay down your sheet of defrosted puff pastry. Using a rolling pin, roll the pastry into a 13”x13” square of even thickness. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the pastry into 9 even squares (3 rows of 3).
- Spoon the ground beef filling evenly into the center of each pastry square and spread it a bit diagonally toward two opposite corners. Get a small dish of water and lightly spread a bit of water around the edges of a square. Fold one corner over diagonally to meet its opposite corner and form a triangle. Press the edges of the pastry together to seal the filling inside. You can also press the sealed edges with a fork to form lines along the edge. Repeat with each pastry square. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer the triangles to the sheet.
- Combine the egg and a tablespoon of water in a bowl and whisk together to combine. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash over top of each pastry triangle. Discard leftover egg wash. Sprinkle the ¼ teaspoon of oregano over the tops of the triangles.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place the baking sheet into the freezer or refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to ensure the pastry is chilled (this makes it puff better). Transfer the sheet to the oven and bake for 16-18 minutes until pastry is golden.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 piece) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 5 SmartPoints/ Blue: 5 SmartPoints/ Purple: 5 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per pocket* (PP calculated using a WW PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
Nutrition Information (per pocket)*:
142 calories, 11 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 9 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 6 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
*Since you definitely won’t use all of the egg wash I calculated the nutrition information and Weight Watchers points using the values for ½ an egg.
an Emily Bites Original