Italian Wedding Pasta Skillet
I am so excited to share this Italian Wedding Pasta Skillet with you today, I’m totally obsessed with this recipe. If you like Italian wedding soup or chicken noodle soup then this pasta skillet featuring all the same flavors is going to knock your socks off. Mini meatballs, pasta shells, sauteed chicken, carrots, celery, spinach and onions all coated in a savory, flavorful sauce and topped with parmesan cheese – it’s pure comfort in a bowl. This dish also makes great leftovers and trust me, you’re going to be excited to eat this again the next day. I basically want to eat it all the time. Even better? Each serving is just 325 calories or 8 Green, 6 Blue or 3 Purple myWW SmartPoints!
This Italian Wedding Pasta Skillet does have several components, but you can definitely save yourself some time if making it on a weeknight but prepping some ingredients ahead of time. If you’re looking to prep ahead, you can always chop the onions, carrots and celery ahead of time (I use my Pampered Chef hand chopper) and toss them in a zip-top bag in the fridge until you need them. You can also cut up the chicken ahead of time (I use kitchen shears, I find it’s so much quicker than a knife) and cook the pasta ahead (just take it out of the fridge when you start cooking and stir it in at the end letting it warm through). You can even make and roll the mini meatballs ahead of time and store them in a tupperware in the fridge (or freeze them!) until ready to use. With a little bit of early prep this recipe can come together in no time for a speedy meal on a busy weeknight.
Looking for more tasty lightened up pasta recipes? Check out my Sausage Ricotta Pasta, Lemon Chicken Orzo with Tomatoes and Asparagus, Chicken Pesto Parmesan Pasta Skillet, One Pot Cincinnati Chili Spaghetti Bake, Beef Stroganoff, Beefy American Goulash, Pizza Lasagna Roll-Ups, Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells, Slow Cooker Kickin’ Chicken Pasta, Beef and Sausage Manicotti, Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet, Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna Roll-Ups, Cheesy Chicken Veggie Pasta Skillet, Spinach and Parmesan Orzo, Sausage Tortellini Skillet, Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake, Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Shells, Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese, Spaghetti Pie, Spicy Sausage Pasta, Cheesy Taco Pasta and many more in the pasta section of my recipe index!
Italian Wedding Pasta Skillet
- 12 oz 99% lean ground turkey breast
- ¼ cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 8 oz uncooked medium pasta shells, use whole wheat pasta if following the WW Purple plan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 oz raw boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of healthy request cream of chicken condensed soup
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, finely shredded (I use the smallest holed side of a box grater)
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, grated Parmesan, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, egg and milk. Using your hands (or a spoon) mush all the ingredients together until well combined. Roll the meat mixture into 60 separate (3/4”-1”) mini meatballs and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta shells according to package directions. Drain the pasta when cooked.
- While the water boils for step 2, bring 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan or walled skillet. Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through (about 5-6 minutes). Remove chicken to a side plate.
- Add a tablespoon of the oil to the same skillet and keep over medium heat. Add the mini meatballs and cook for a few minutes, stirring when needed, until all sides are browned and the meatballs are cooked through. Transfer meatballs to the plate with the chicken.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet, still over medium heat, and add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic and stir together. Cook for another minute until garlic is fragrant. Add the chicken, meatballs, broth, condensed soup, chopped spinach, thyme, salt and pepper and stir together until well combined. Cover the pan and cook on medium-low for 2-5 minutes until heated through.
- Remove the lid and stir in the pasta and one ounce of the shredded parmesan until well combined. Sprinkle the remaining ounce of Parmesan over top of the skillet and replace the lid. Turn off the burner and keep covered for 1-2 minutes until the cheese on top is melted.
8 per (1 rounded cup) serving (PP calculated using a WW PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below) Nutrition Information per (1 rounded cup) serving: 325 calories, 31 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 10 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 29 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com) adapted from Taste of Home