Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
These baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are flavorful, crispy and make an awesome vegetarian appetizer or side dish. My husband loves cauliflower, but I’ve always felt kind of “meh” about it. I’ll eat it, but it doesn’t often excite me. These Buffalo Cauliflower Wings, however, definitely excite me – we both love them! The cauliflower florets are battered and then coated in crispy panko breadcrumbs, baked to perfection and tossed in spicy Buffalo wing sauce. What’s not to love? I actually liked these baked Buffalo Cauliflower wings better than fried ones because they still turned out battered and crispy, but without the greasiness. Plus, a one cup serving is only 124 calories or 3 WW SmartPoints on the Green, Blue or Purple myWW plans!
These “wings” would be great to snack on while watching football, but I also think they work well as a side dish to a meaty main course. I also ate them as part of a “snacky” lunch, so that works as well. As a Buffalonian, I of course serve these with light blue cheese dressing for dipping, but feel free to use ranch dressing if you must!
Looking for more great lightened up appetizers and finger foods? Check out my Spinach Artichoke Wonton Bites, Meatball Slider Bombs, Ranch Hummus, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Cheeseburger Egg Rolls, Pepperoni Pizza Dip, Baked Un-Fried Pickles, Ham and Cheese Twists, Pizza Logs, Loaded Potato Rounds, Easy Garlic Knots, Buffalo Chicken Taquitos, BLT Dip, Pepperoni Pull-Apart Muffins, Cheesy Spinach Pinwheels, Spicy Beef Taquitos, Enchilada Cheese Rolls, Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts, Spinach and Artichoke Dip and more in the appetizer section of my recipe index!
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings
- ¾ cup skim milk
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs (24 ounces) cauliflower florets (this is the amount I got from chopping up one head of cauliflower)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup Buffalo wing sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings sauce)
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set aside (if using foil, lightly mist with cooking spray).
- Whisk together the milk, flour, garlic powder and oil in a mixing bowl until smooth and well combined into a batter. Place the cauliflower florets in a large mixing bowl and pour the batter over top. Stir until the florets are well combined. Transfer the coated florets to another mixing bowl, shaking off any excess batter before the transfer. Add the panko crumbs to the florets and toss to coat.
- Transfer the coated florets to the prepared baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer with a bit of room for each piece to “breathe” to allow them to get crispy (you may need to use more than one baking sheet depending on the size of the sheet). Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with the Buffalo wing sauce. Stir/toss the cauliflower in the sauce on the baking sheet until it is coated and then rearrange the pieces again into a single layer. Return to the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes until crispy.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 cup) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 3 SmartPoints/ Blue: 3 SmartPoints/ Purple: 3 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
3 per (1 cup) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per (1 cup) serving:
124 calories, 23 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 6 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
slightly adapted from Spend with Pennies