Chili Cheese Tacos
Change up your taco night with these hearty, flavorful, and easy Chili Cheese Tacos! Ground turkey, kidney beans, and diced tomatoes perfectly flavored with chili seasonings and smothered with melted cheddar cheese in a warm corn tortilla – two types of comfort food in one! I already love spicy meat and beans in a taco, so chili seemed like it would be a perfect fit. These Chili Cheese Tacos make a great weeknight meal because they come together quickly and are sure to be a hit with the whole family. Even my baby ate some of the chili! Not only are these tacos delicious, but each one is only 101 calories or 3 Green, 2 Blue or 2 Purple WW SmartPoints! When I plugged it into the recipe builder on the WW site, I discovered that one taco is 2 SP, but three tacos are 5 SP, so that’s a WW bargain!
These Chili Cheese Tacos are amazing as is, but there are also plenty of ways to customize them. If you prefer your tortillas crispy rather than soft, you can always lay your tacos out on a baking sheet once filled and place them in the oven until crispy. You can also add whatever toppings you like on your chili or your tacos, such as Greek yogurt, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, onions, etc. You know what you like!
Looking for more tasty, lightened up tacos, wraps and handhelds? Check out my Easy Chicken Quesadillas, Teriyaki Steak Lettuce Wraps, Spicy Steak Tacos, Pepperoni and Sausage Pizzadillas, Spicy Southwest Chicken Wraps, Greek Chicken Tacos, Buffalo Chicken Braid, Chicken Hummus Veggie Wrap, Buffalo Chicken Tacos, Apple Cheddar Turkey Wraps, Black and Blue Steak Wraps, Ham and Cheese Twists, and many more in the Sandwiches, Wraps, and Handhelds section of my recipe index.
Chili Cheese Tacos
- 1 lb uncooked 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup drained and rinsed canned kidney beans
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 18 (6 inch) tortillas, I use Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas
- 4.5 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- Optional: Feel free to add additional toppings you like on your chili or tacos such as a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onion, etc.
- Mist a large saute pan with cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add the ground turkey and use a wooden spoon to break it up into small pieces as it cooks. When the turkey is breaking up and almost browned, add the onions and garlic and stir together. Continue to cook another few minutes until the turkey is browned and onions are softened.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne to the turkey mixture and stir together until well combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes to thicken and allow the flavors to combine.
- *Warm your tortillas in small batches between two damp paper towels for 20-30 seconds in the microwave to make them softer and more pliable. Lay out the tortillas and fill each with a ¼ cup of chili. Sprinkle ¼ ounce of shredded cheese over the chili on each taco and serve.
- *If not serving all 18 tacos at once you can just store the unused chili, cheese, and tortillas separately and build the tacos as needed. The chili can be frozen.
3 per taco (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below) Nutrition Information per serving:
101 calories, 12 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 10 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)