Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Bake
This Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Bake is a quick, easy, and delicious Italian dish your whole family is sure to love. My husband said this was so good. Don’t be intimidated by stuffing the chicken, it only takes a few minutes. You’ll just slice the breasts almost in half to create a top and bottom, open them up, and spread the filling on one side. It’s so simple! The Italian seasoned chicken is stuffed with a flavor mixture of ricotta cheese, basil, parsley, mozzarella cheese and egg, and it’s topped with your favorite pasta sauce and melty mozzarella cheese. I love to serve this with a side salad with balsamic or Italian dressing, but it would also pair wonderfully with a side of pasta. A serving of this Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Bake is super filling and just 345 calories, 10 grams of carbs, or 7 Green, 4 Blue or 4 Purple myWW SmartPoints, so you may even want to pair it with some wine or a sweet treat for dessert! To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
Looking for more ways to make your chicken breasts delicious? Try my Cream Cheese Stuffed Everything Chicken, Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken, Baked Hot Barbecue Chicken Tenders, Mediterranean Topped Grilled Chicken, Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken, Cream Cheese and Herb Stuffed Chicken, Tuscan Olive Chicken, Fiesta Stuffed Chicken, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Baked Chicken Tenders, Bruschetta Topped Balsamic Chicken, Pesto Chicken Roulades, Lemon Pepper Iced Tea Chicken, Cheesy Chicken and Stuffing, Pizza Chicken Roulades, Thai Chicken Skewers, Chicken Piccata, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken and many, many more in the Chicken section of my recipe index!
Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Bake
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup shredded 2% mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 (6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (24 oz total)
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup pasta sauce, I used Francesco Rinaldi original
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg, ricotta, ¼ cup of the mozzarella, basil, and parsley and stir until well mixed.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board. Sprinkle both sides of the breasts with salt, black pepper, and the Italian seasoning. Using a sharp knife, slice the breasts from the side (creating a top and bottom) almost all the way through. Open each breast at the slit. Divide the ricotta mixture evenly amongst the four breasts and spread across the surface of one side (leaving the other half empty to fold over the filling). When all four breasts are topped on one side, fold the empty half over the filling to make a stuffed breast.
- Transfer each stuffed breast to a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Spoon the pasta sauce over the chicken and around the dish. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chicken with the remaining ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked. Don’t worry if some of the ricotta filling leaks out into the sauce, you can just heap it all on top when you serve it!
8 per serving (PP calculated using the a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below) Adapted from Clean Food Crush
Made this Monday night. It was seriously AMAZING.
This looks great I think I will try it this week. I was wondering what you served with it?
How much will the points go up with Skim Ricotta instead of fat free? Thanks!
It would be 6 sp per serving
This week’s dinner. Something new!
This was delicious. I used the sauce it created to put on top of pasta as a side dish. I had to cook it longer because the chicken breast I used were large. But, it still came out really moist. I will use this recipe for company one day.
Oh my this was sooo good! We had it with sautéed zucchini and stewed tomatoes. Definitely a keeper!
Any tips for doing this as a meal prep?
This was excellent and very easy to make. I had this with the Birdseye pasta made with lentil and zucchini with marinara and it was an extremely filling 11 point (on green WW) meal.
I can’t see how long to bake it ..any suggestions?
It’s in step 4 of the instructions 🙂
I made this tonight and it was absolutely delicious. My bf said A+++++ thanks so much for sharing this recipe!! ❤️
Can I prep this in advance and put in the fridge to bake later? Thanks!
Thank you so much – I made this today – delicious! It went perfectly with a side of steamed zucchini. I loved it so much I shared it with several friends!
Hi, any suggestions to replace the egg? (My daughter has an allergy to it). Otherwise this sounds amazing!
You can omit it. The cheese will be runnier but it will still be tasty!
hi. made this in the oven but seemed to take pretty long and since it’s hot now, hate to use oven. what do you think about making in a slow cooker? and if so, any idea how long it might take? thanks.
I will have to sub small curd cottage cheese for the ricotta, can’t find anything other than whole milk ricotta where I live. Would I use the same measurement (1 cup)?
Sooooo good and filling. It’s also really easy to make.
So yummy!!! I made this tonight! Even my 11 month old enjoyed it! Will make again.
Do you cover this with aluminum foil when initially baking? I’m concerned the chicken will be dry.