This easy, flavorful Caprese Sandwich comes together in minutes with just five ingredients! With crunchy toasted bread, soft Mozzarella cheese, juicy ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and a drizzle of tangy, sweet balsamic glaze, to me this sandwich tastes like summer. I know it’s still spring right now, but I’m feeling impatient so I’ll take all the summer I can get! I also think this simple combination of flavors feels a little fancy, so if you’re looking to upgrade your lunch or just add a meatless/vegetarian option, this Caprese Sandwich is for you! It packs a lot of flavor for just 231 calories or 8 WW (Weight Watchers) SmartPoints on the Green, Blue, or Purple plans.
I wrote this recipe to make just one sandwich in case you’re eating alone, but it can be easily scaled up to serve a large number. I also chose to toast the bread and warm the cheese under the broiler in my oven because it’s super quick and generally everyone has one. If you have a toaster oven, you could get a similar effect using that if you prefer!
The freshness and quality of ingredients make this Caprese Sandwich shine, so make sure you use good ones! Fresh mozzarella is key, as are ripe red tomatoes. Be sure not to forget to add salt and pepper to each as it brings out their flavor. Balsamic glaze is also called a balsamic reduction and is thicker and usually sweeter than regular balsamic vinegar. I buy my store brand (Wegmans) but I’ve seen a lot of other brands make a similar one in a squeeze bottle. Trust me, once you buy this you’re going to want to put it on everything! I love Dave’s Killer Bread thin-sliced varieties because they have a hearty, rustic texture with seeds and grains, but the ones I’ve purchased are just 70 calories or 2 WW SmartPoints per slice. Their site has a product locator if you’d like to find it near you!
Looking for more lightened up sandwiches and wraps? Check out my Hot Turkey Sandwich with Gravy, Italian Sausage Bread, Thai Peanut Chicken Wraps, Cajun Turkey Club Sandwich, Chicken Bacon Apple Cheddar Wraps, Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad Sandwiches, Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Sandwiches, Chicken Hummus Veggie Wraps, Open-Faced Greek Steak Sandwiches, Apple Cheddar Turkey Wraps, Garlic Herb Veggie Sandwich, Black and Blue Steak Wraps, Spicy Southwest Chicken Wraps, California Club Sandwich, and more in the Sandwiches, Wraps, and Handhelds category of my recipe index.
- 1 oz slice of fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 2 thin slices of red, ripe tomato, at room temperature
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 slices of bread, I like a hearty, grainy texture (I used Dave’s Killer Bread Thin-Sliced 21 Whole Grains and Seeds bread)
- 1 teaspoon store-bought balsamic glaze, (I use Wegmans brand, but many Italian food brands sell a similar glaze)
- 2-4 fresh basil leaves
- Move an oven rack to the top spot in your own and turn the oven to broil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top of your Mozzarella cheese slice and over your tomato slices and set aside.
- Place the two slices of bread side-by-side in the center of a baking sheet and lightly mist the tops with cooking spray. Place in the oven under the broiler for about 2 minutes until golden toasted on the top (keep an eye on it, broiler intensity can vary, and you don’t want your toast to burn).
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the slices of bread over so the toasted side is down. Place the slice of Mozzarella cheese onto one of the bread slices. Return to the oven under the broiler for another 1-2 minutes until the edges of the bread are golden and the cheese has warmed and softened. Remove from heat.
- To build the sandwich, place the tomatoes on top of the warm Mozzarella cheese on the toasted bread and drizzle the balsamic glaze over the tomatoes. Arrange the basil leaves in a single layer on top and then cover with the remaining toasted bread slice.
6 per sandwich (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below Nutrition Information per sandwich: 231 calories, 32 g carbs, 6 g sugars, 8 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 11 g protein, 7 g fiber, 325 mg sodium (from myfitnesspal.com)