Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad Sandwiches (Chilled or Grilled)
These tasty and versatile Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad Sandwiches can be served chilled or grilled, so you can easily pack them in a lunch or heat one up at home! If you’re unfamiliar with pimento cheese, it’s a Southern classic that mixes cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, pimiento peppers (you may know these from being stuffed in green olives), and other ingredients depending on who is making it. You can serve it a ton of different ways (like in my Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken), but one of them is on bread, often with the crusts cut off as a tea sandwich. I was thinking about that sandwich the other day, and the idea struck me to add some shredded chicken and make it into a chicken salad! I’m certain I’m not the first to do this, but I got pretty darn excited thinking about it.
I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to make these Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad Sandwiches a cold sandwich or more of a melt, so I tried each and they’re both great. I’m posting the slight variation to turn this sandwich from chilled to grilled, and you can decide for yourself! Chilled is perfect to pack in a lunch or serve with a side of veggies and dip, and grilled is like a extra fun grilled cheese and would be great with a cup of soup. The recipe makes 5 sandwiches, so you can try some of each and see which you prefer! The cold sandwich is just 219 calories or 5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and the hot version is 268 calories or 7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Take your pick and let me know which one is your favorite in the comments!
Looking for more easy, tasty sandwiches, wraps and handhelds? Check out my Cajun Turkey Club Sandwich, Spicy Southwest Chicken Wraps, Chicken Hummus Veggie Wrap, Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Sandwiches, Apple Cheddar Turkey Wraps, Greek Chicken Tacos, Easy Chicken Quesadillas, Teriyaki Steak Lettuce Wraps, Buffalo Chicken Braid, Open Face Greek Steak Sandwiches, Barbecue Chicken Bacon Wraps, Pepperoni and Sausage Pizzadillas, Buffalo Chicken Tacos, Garlic Herb Veggie Sandwich, Chicken Caesar Wraps, Black and Blue Steak Wraps, Ham and Cheese Twists, Bacon BBQ Cheeseburger Quesadillas, Bacon Cheeseburger Wraps and many more in the Sandwiches, Wraps and Handhelds section of my recipe index!
Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Yield: 5 sandwiches
- 2 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup Hellmann’s Low Fat mayonnaise (this is different than the Light variety)
- ¼ cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 oz 50% less fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- 2 tablespoons diced pimiento peppers (from a jar)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 6 oz cooked, shredded boneless, skinless chicken breast, chilled or at room temperature
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 slices light wheat bread (such as Pepperidge Farm Light Style or Arnold Light Multigrain)
- 5 lettuce leaves (cold sandwich only)
*If making this sandwich a melt, you’ll also need 5 tablespoons of light butter (I use Land O’Lakes light butter with canola oil in the tub)
- Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, yogurt, shredded cheddar, pimientos, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in a mixing bowl and stir until mixed. Add the shredded chicken and stir with a fork until well combined. Sprinkle on salt and black pepper, to taste.
- To make a cold sandwich: Take two slices of bread and place a lettuce leaf on one slice. Spread 1/3 cup of the chicken salad across the surface of the other slice. Place the slices together, ingredients facing in. Repeat to make 5 sandwiches or refrigerate the leftover chicken salad for later.
- To make a hot sandwich: Spread 1/3 cup of the chicken salad across one slice of bread and cover it with another slice. Spread 1 tablespoon of light butter across the outside surfaces of the bread (split the amount between the 2 slices). Place in a skillet and cook over medium-low for 2-3 minutes until the bottom is golden. Flip the sandwich and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the other side is golden as well. Serve warm.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
5 per cold sandwich (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
7 per hot sandwich (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per cold sandwich (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
7 per hot sandwich (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per cold sandwich:
219 calories, 22 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 7 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 20 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Nutrition Information per hot sandwich:
268 calories, 22 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 13 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 20 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original