These easy Carrot Muffins turn the flavors of carrot cake into a tasty, lightly sweet, grab-and-go breakfast the whole family will enjoy! I realized this week that I had a ton of carrots in my vegetable drawer that needed to be used soon, and my immediate thought was to make muffins! The second thought was to make Carrot Soup, so that recipe will be coming soon as well. Back to the muffins though! Baking these filled my kitchen with the aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, and when I finally got to eat one it was everything my nose had been teasing! These Carrot Muffins have a comforting flavor, and I love that they can be whipped up quickly and easily using ingredients I pretty much always have on hand. This would also be a great recipe to make with your kids, because it’s mostly just simple measuring, pouring and stirring. Not only are these Carrot Muffins tasty, each one is just 112 calories or 4 Green, Blue or Purple WW SmartPoints each!
Just a side note: I did use white whole wheat flour for the photos of this recipe rather than the all-purpose flour I have listed. I am almost out of AP flour and so is my grocery store! It will taste delicious either way, I just figured I should mention it in case yours turn out looking a bit lighter than mine.
Looking for more tasty lightened up breakfast recipes? Check out my Banana Blueberry Muffins, Sausage and Pepper Egg Bake, Apple Cinnamon Muffins, Strawberry Almond Cream Pancakes, Ultimate Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, Apple Cinnamon Pancakes, Triple Berry Yogurt Bowl, Banana Bread, Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata, Berry French Toast Muffins, Ham and Cheese Egg Cups, Orange Cranberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Banana Chocolate Baked Oatmeal Singles, Apple Streusel French Toast Muffins, Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche, Pumpkin Chocolate Baked Oatmeal Singles, and many more in the Breakfast section of my recipe index!
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons light butter, melted (I use Land O’Lakes light stick butter)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly mist a 12 count standard-sized muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the egg, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla and stir together until well combined. Add the melted butter and stir until well combined. Add the shredded carrot and stir to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves and stir until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until combined into a batter.
- Spoon the batter evenly amongst the wells in the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
MYWW SMARTPOINTS PER (1 MUFFIN) SERVING: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 4 SmartPoints/ Blue: 4 SmartPoints/ Purple: 4 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
3 per (1 muffin) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Nutrition Information per (1 muffin) serving:
112 calories, 20 g carbs, 8 g sugars, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 2 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original