Ultimate Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
When I say this is the Ultimate Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, I mean it. This casserole has everything: eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, tater tots – the works! I drastically lightened this up from a recipe my mom used on Christmas and it’s still absolutely delicious, decadent, and super filling. This casserole makes big servings, so it’s great to serve for brunch or a hearty breakfast with a side of fruit (cantaloupe, fruit salad, berries, oranges – it goes with everything). My family loved this dish (including my almost-10-month-old baby), so I’m calling it a crowd-pleaser! Plus, each of those big servings is just 385 calories or 10 Green, 6 Blue or 6 Purple myWW SmartPoints!
I love making my own turkey sausage for casseroles like these because the flavor is amazing and if you use 99% lean ground turkey it saves a ton of WW Freestyle SmartPoints! I’ve had a few people say “but isn’t that harder?” and honestly…not really. Instead of buying ground sausage you just measure out a few seasonings and mush them into the ground turkey. That’s it! Voila! Turkey sausage! It’s super easy and you also get to know exactly what is in your sausage.
Looking for more flavorful lightened up breakfasts like my Ultimate Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole? Check out my Sausage and Pepper Egg Bake, Apple Cinnamon Pancakes, Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche, Bacon Sausage Egg and Cheese Braid, Triple Berry Yogurt Bowl, Pear Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal Singles, Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata, Berry French Toast Muffins, Ham and Cheese Egg Cups, Orange Cranberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Apple Streusel French Toast Muffins, Butternut Squash Autumn Frittata, Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole, Blueberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Sausage and Stuffing Brunch Bake, Mini Dutch Baby Pancakes, Pumpkin Chocolate Baked Oatmeal Singles, Sausage Egg and Cheese Hash Brown Cups, Banana Chocolate Baked Oatmeal Singles, and many more in the breakfast section of my recipe index!
Ultimate Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 20 oz frozen tater tots
- 1 lb raw 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground sage
- ¾ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 6 slices center cut bacon
- 6 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- 12 raw large eggs
- ½ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup sliced scallions, optional – I’ve made this with and without and the scallions add freshness, but it’s good either way!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour the frozen tater tots into the casserole dish and arrange them into a single layer (you do not need to place them in a certain pattern, there will be some spaces in between, just spread them across the bottom without worry).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey with ¾ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, the sage, thyme, marjoram and ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper. Stir (or mush with your hands or a fork) until the turkey is well combined with the seasonings. Mist a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add the seasoned turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the turkey is cooked through and broken into small pieces. Remove the turkey sausage from the skillet and spread them evenly across the top of the tater tots in the casserole dish.
- Add the bacon to the skillet and bring back to medium heat. Cook the bacon according to package directions until crisp. Remove to a stack of paper towels to drain. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over top of the sausage in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over top of the bacon.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, scallions (if using), remaining ¾ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and the remaining ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. Beat the eggs and seasonings with a whisk. When beaten, pour the eggs over top of the cheese layer in the baking dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the center of the casserole comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and cut into 8 servings.
10 per serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below) Nutrition Information per serving:
385 calories, 19 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 20 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 32 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com) Adapted from Gonna Want Seconds