Turkey Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
These Turkey Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are hearty, savory, and perfect for a fall or winter football game, party or potluck. I can’t get over how rich and flavorful these are, you’ll never believe the sausage starts as extra lean ground turkey breast! A few of these are pretty filling and each heartily stuffed mushroom is just 57 calories or 1 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoint!
I suggest in the recipe to mix the ground turkey and sausage seasoning and then let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours to maximize the opportunity for the meat to soak up the seasoning, but if you don’t have time for that, no worries. It’ll still be super delicious and plenty flavorful. Turning your ground turkey into sausage with a simple seasoning mix is so easy, you’re going to want to do it all the time!
Looking for more great lightened up appetizers and finger foods? Check out my Buffalo Cauliflower Wings, Spinach Artichoke Wonton Bites, Meatball Slider Bombs, Ranch Hummus, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Cheeseburger Egg Rolls, Pepperoni Pizza Dip, Baked Un-Fried Pickles, Ham and Cheese Twists, Pizza Logs, Loaded Potato Rounds, Easy Garlic Knots, Buffalo Chicken Taquitos, BLT Dip, Pepperoni Pull-Apart Muffins, Cheesy Spinach Pinwheels, Spicy Beef Taquitos, Enchilada Cheese Rolls, Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts, Spinach and Artichoke Dip and more in the appetizer section of my recipe index!
Turkey Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Yield: 30 stuffed mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 teaspoon fennel seed
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb uncooked 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 30 pieces (about 1 ½ – 2 lbs)fresh white mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons light butter, melted (I used Land O’Lakes)
- In a small dish, stir together the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, fennel seed and red pepper flakes to make a sausage seasoning. Place the ground turkey in a mixing bowl and pour the seasoning mix over the top. Use a spoon or your hands to thoroughly mix the seasoning into the ground turkey. If possible, refrigerate for a couple hours before using to really maximize the flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly mist with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the seasoned ground turkey, onions and garlic and cook, breaking the meat up into bite-sized pieces, until the onions are softened and the meat is cooked through. Add the cream cheese and parmesan cheese and stir together. Continue cooking over medium heat until the cheeses are melted. Stir in the bread crumbs, basil and parsley.
- Place the melted butter in a small dish. Arrange the mushroom caps (missing) stem side up on the prepared baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush the mushrooms caps with butter. Spoon the turkey sausage mixture evenly into the mushroom caps. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
MyWW SmartPoints per (1 stuffed mushroom) serving: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 2 SmartPoints/ Blue: 1 SmartPoints/ Purple: 1 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
2 per mushroom (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per mushroom:
57 calories, 3 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)