This simple Asparagus Tart is full of bright, fresh flavor on a crispy puff pastry crust. This dish is perfect as a vegetarian brunch or lunch dish, or as a side dish for meat on the grill. The puff pastry dough creates a flaky base which is topped with a creamy layer flavored with lemon and herbs, and finished with spring-y asparagus and Parmesan cheese. A market near me has been putting together weekly produce boxes for pickup, and when I got asparagus in mine I knew I wanted to use it for something different and special. I love roasted asparagus sprinkled with a bit of Parmesan, but this Asparagus Tart takes it to another level! The asparagus cooks perfectly right on the tart, so there’s no need roast it separately, and the finished dish is beautiful and impressive looking. This would be a fun recipe to treat your friends to once we can have company again! Not only is this Asparagus Tart impressive looking and delicious, each slice is just 168 calories or 6 Weight Watchers WW SmartPoints on the myWW Green, Blue or Purple plans.
Looking for more recipes using puff pastry? They do typically come two sheets to a box, after all. Check out my Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Pastry Bundles, Mixed Berry Puff Pastry Tarts, Cranberry Brie Bites, Taco Puff Pockets, Roasted Grape Cheese Tarts, Pumpkin Pie Pastry Pockets, Caprese Tarts, Pizza Pockets, Cheesy Spinach Pinwheels, and more by clicking on the Puff Pastry ingredient listing in my recipe index!
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted per package instructions (I used a Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheet)
- 10-12 ounces of thin to medium width asparagus spears
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (I used the smallest holed side of a box grater)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley, basil, dill, and garlic powder and stir until blended.
- Lightly flour a clean surface such as a cutting board. Place the defrosted pastry on the surface and use a rolling pin to roll it into a 10”x14” rectangle (roughly…it doesn’t need to be exactly these dimensions). Transfer the rolled out pastry dough to the prepared baking sheet. Use a knife to “score” the edges of the dough about ½” in (make an indent, but do not cut all the way through), creating a 1/2” border around the outside of the rectangle. Use a fork to stab some holes in the pastry dough inside the border, about ½” to 1” apart.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture from step two inside the scored border of the pastry with a spatula or the back of a spoon to make an even layer. Trim the bottom ends of the asparagus spears to fit across the shorter side of the pastry and lay them side-by-side, alternating them head-to-bottom, across the top of the cheese mixture, leaving the ½” border around the edge bare. Sprinkle the asparagus with a bit of salt and pepper and then sprinkle the shredded Parmesan over the top.
- Place in the heated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry border is golden and the asparagus spears are cooked through. Cut into 8 equal pieces and serve.
MYWW SMARTPOINTS PER (1/8th) SLICE: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 6 SmartPoints/ Blue: 6 SmartPoints/ Purple: 6 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
5 per (1/8th) slice (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Nutrition Information per (1/8th) slice:
168 calories, 14 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 10 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 7 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)