Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
This Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal for one is a quick and easy morning meal! I love how this oatmeal is perfectly thick and lightly sweetened with bright lemon flavor and juicy warm blueberries throughout. I saw this flavor combination suggested in a Cooking Light cookbook (affiliate link: Cooking That Counts) that listed a bunch of different ideas for jazzing up your morning oatmeal. I love lemon and blueberry together so I knew I had to try it! Oatmeal makes a great breakfast because it’s so versatile and it keeps me feeling full until lunch. This recipe serves one, but you can easily double it or more if you’re making it for your family. Each serving of this Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal is just 210 calories or 5 WW Points on the current Weight Watchers plan (or 6 WW Points if following the diabetic WW plan). To view your current WW Points per tartlet and track it in the WW app or site, click here!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Sweetener: This recipe as written produces oatmeal that is mildly, but not overly, sweet. If you like your oatmeal sweeter you can definitely add more lemon curd/sugar or supplement with a sugar substitute to keep the calories/WW Points down. On days I’m feeling sweet I sometimes squirt in a little of the Truvia liquid sweetener that comes in a little squeeze bottle. A little of that goes a long way, so if you try it just start with a tiny bit!
- Thickness: I like my oatmeal on the thicker side so this is the perfect consistency for me, but if you like yours thinner feel free to cook it with a bit more water to thin it out.
- Oats: I used old fashioned oats for this because I always have them on hand, but if you have quick oats or steel cut oats, those would work great as well! Just cook up a serving according to package instructions and then mix in the additional ingredients as instructed.
- Blueberries: I also try to buy jumbo blueberries if they’re available. They’re reliably firm and sweet and in my opinion they taste the best when warm and juicy in a recipe like this one.
- Mix-Ins: Make sure to mix the sugar, lemon curd, and blueberries into the oatmeal as soon as it’s ready while it is still warm. This way the sugar will dissolve easily and the blueberries will get warm and juicy.
- Optional Toppings: I sprinkled a little lemon zest on top in my photos for looks and also added fresh lemon flavor. This isn’t necessary, but it was a tasty addition! The Cooking Light cookbook also suggested adding mascarpone cheese and toasted almonds which I’m sure would be delicious (but will of course add additional calories/WW Points). You could also choose to add additional berries like blackberries or mix in some Greek yogurt to make it creamier!
More Easy, Tasty Lightened-Up Breakfast Recipes
Looking for more tasty, lightened up breakfast recipes like this Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal? Check out my Peanut Butter and Berry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Spinach Feta Quiche, Carrot Cake Bread, Ham and Cheese Omelet Roll, Pineapple Upside-Down Baked Oatmeal Singles, Feta Tomato Mini Frittatas, Blueberry Bread, Bacon Broccoli Quiche, Ultimate Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins, Sheet Pan Blueberry Pancakes, Sausage and Pepper Egg Bake, Chocolate Mocha Baked Oatmeal Singles, and many more in the Breakfast section of my recipe index!
Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup uncooked old fashioned oats
- a pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon curd
- ¼ cup blueberries
- Pour the water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the oats and salt and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the sugar, lemon curd, and blueberries until mixed. Serve warm.
210 calories, 40 g carbs, 13 g sugars, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 g protein, 4 g fiber, 7 mg sodium (from myfitnesspal.com) Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below) Lightly adapted from the Cooking That Counts Cookbook (affiliate link)