One-Pot Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta
This One-Pot Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta was a huge hit with my family and I can’t wait for you all to try it! My husband went back for seconds and kept saying how good it was. I’m honestly not surprised he loved it! This dish is full of smoky, rich flavor with Cajun-spiced chicken, turkey smoked sausage, pasta, and a creamy sauce made with fire-roasted tomatoes. It’s so good. I kept the spice level family-friendly, but if you like it spicier, feel free to add the extra cayenne for a kick. As a bonus, this recipe is all made in one pot which helps cut back on clean up afterward. I so appreciate one-pot meals. I love cooking and eating but I hate washing dishes!
This meal tastes super decadent, but I’m happy to report that a 1 ¼ cup serving of this tasty One-Pot Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta is just 366 calories or 8 Green, 8 Blue or 4 Purple myWW (Weight Watchers) SmartPoints! Seriously, no one will believe this creamy, meaty, flavorful pasta is lightened up.
Looking for more tasty comfort food recipes to warm up to this winter? Check out my Cheesy Chicken and Stuffing Bake, One-Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese, Swedish Turkey Meatballs, Chicken and Dumplings Casserole, One-Pot Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta, Chicken Divan, Bubble Up Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Bake, Stuffed Turkey Bundles with Gravy, One-Pot Dirty Spicy Rice with Chicken and Sausage, Crispy Cheddar Chicken with Cream Sauce, Chicken Pot Pasta, Beef Enchilada Pasta Skillet, Rustic Sausage and Potatoes Skillet, Beef Stroganoff, Beefy American Goulash, and so many more in the Comfort Food category of my recipe index!
One-Pot Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, if you want the dish spicier, feel free to increase to ½ teaspoon
- 1 lb raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (13 oz) rope of turkey smoked sausage (I used Hillshire Farm), sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 ¾ cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 12 oz dry pasta such as penne, campanelle, farfalle or rotini, use whole wheat pasta if following the WW purple plan
- 2 oz of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cut into cubes (also labeled Neufchatel cheese)
- 2 medium scallions, sliced (optional)
- Combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, onion powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne in a small dish and stir to combine into a Cajun spice mix. Place the cut up chicken in a bowl and add the spice mix. Stir until chicken is coated.
- Add the oil to a 5 QT dutch oven or pot and bring to medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and stir to coat. Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes, stirring once or twice until the outsides of the pieces are browning. Add the sausage and onion and stir together. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, occasionally stirring and scraping up any browned spice mix stuck to the pan until the onion is softened. Add the broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, and pasta and stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and turn the heat to high to bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove the lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through and the liquid has thickened some.
- Stir in the cream cheese cubes until dissolved into the sauce. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes to thicken the sauce before stirring again and serving.
9 per (1 ¼ cup) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below) Nutrition Information per (1 ¼ cup) serving: 366 calories, 40 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 11 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 28 g protein, 4 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com) Adapted from Budget Bytes