Cheesy Zucchini Rice
This Cheesy Zucchini Rice is an easy, versatile side dish that pairs well with many different main courses. I love serving it with meat from the grill in the summer! I’ve seen similar versions of this recipe on several different food blogs and knew I had to try it. Who doesn’t love cheesy rice? Zucchini is a vegetable everyone in my family enjoys, but if you have a picky eater in your household they may not even notice it. The flavor and texture blend right in with the rice! You could even peel the zucchini before shredding it if you are trying to hide the green parts.
This recipe takes minimal prep, which I love on a busy weeknight. Just shred the zucchini and cheese, cook the rice, mix all the ingredients together and serve! A 2/3 cup serving of this Cheesy Zucchini Rice is just 177 calories or 2-5 WW Personal Points each (depending on whether you have brown rice as a Zero Point food)! To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- Rice: I used brown rice but you can definitely use white if that’s what you prefer or have on hand. Brown rice cook times and liquid amounts vary, so follow the directions for your packaged rice and check to make sure it’s fully cooked before mixing in the other ingredients.
- Cheese: I used a reduced fat cheddar, but if you have another type in your fridge you can certainly change it up. I think Parmesan would be delicious.
- Zucchini: The shredded zucchini is great in this recipe, but if you want to try a different vegetable you can. Obviously summer squash (yellow zucchini) would work well. I also think finely chopped broccoli would be great.
- Note: Please note that any substitutions made to the recipe may result in a change to the estimated nutrition info or WW points listed.
More Tasty, Lightened Up Side Dishes
Looking for more tasty, lightened up side dish ideas like this Cheesy Zucchini Rice? Check out my Broccoli Salad, Apple Coleslaw, Caprese Pasta Salad, Zucchini Squares, Broccoli Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes, Summer Vegetable Sauté, Garlic Herb Mushrooms, Caprese Salad, Spinach Balls, Buffalo Cauliflower Wings, Easy Salsa Rice, Zucchini Casserole, Avocado BLT Pasta Salad, Strawberry Quinoa Salad, Easy Garlic Knots, Spinach and Parmesan Orzo, Doritos Taco Salad, and more in the Side Dishes categories of my recipe index!
Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 2 ¼ cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth, (you may need a bit more or less depending on your rice directions)
- 2 ½ cups shredded zucchini, (for me this was one large zucchini)
- 1 cup shredded 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar , (I use Cabot)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- ¼-½ teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons skim milk
- Cook the rice and broth together according to your rice’s package directions in a medium saucepan. My brown rice used 2 ¼ liquid for 1 cup rice and the directions were to bring them to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. I have found that brown rice directions may vary, so check yours for broth quantity and cook time.
- When the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork. Stir in the zucchini, shredded cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 5-10 minutes on low, stirring occasionally, to melt the cheese and heat the zucchini. Add milk as needed (1-2 tablespoons) to thin out the texture if desired.
5 per (2/3 cup) serving (PP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com) adapted from several sources including Mel's Kitchen Cafe, Buns in my Oven, and The Recipe Critic