This simple, 5-ingredient Caprese Salad is one of my go-to recipes for summer. It’s delicious any time of year of course, but fresh basil and tomatoes are just the best in the summer. Caprese salad makes a great side dish to chicken or steak from the grill, but it’s also perfect for a snack or as part of a light lunch. Whenever you serve it, the combination of ripe, juicy tomatoes with rich, soft mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, a drizzle of olive oil, and sweet, tangy balsamic glaze will have you swooning. I know most of us are not having company right now, but for future reference, the beautiful presentation and bright, fresh flavors of this dish also make it a great one to serve guests. I love when food is tasty and pretty, don’t you? Better yet, it’s healthy, too! A serving of this caprese salad is just 83 calories, 3 grams of carbs, or 3 Weight Watchers SmartPoints on all three WW color plans.
Looking for more tasty, lightened up side dish recipes? Check out my Creamy Corn with Bacon and Jalapenos, Broccoli Salad, Summer Vegetable Saute, Easy Garlic Knots, Avocado BLT Pasta Salad, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Zucchini Casserole, Vegetable Fried Rice, Spinach Balls, Garlic Herb Mushrooms, Classic Mashed Potatoes, Salt and Vinegar Roasted Cauliflower, Easy Salsa Rice, Buffalo Cauliflower Wings, Strawberry Quinoa Salad, Cheesy Broccoli Bake, Garlic Roasted Green Beans with Almonds, Loaded Cauliflower Bake, Cheesy Potluck Potatoes, Zucchini Squares, and more in the Side Dishes category of my recipe index.
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 8 (1 oz each) slices
- 2 medium red tomatoes, sliced into 8 slices
- 8 large basil leaves
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons balsamic glaze (I use my store brand, Wegmans, but Trader Joe’s and many of the Italian food brands sell a similar glaze)
- Arrange the mozzarella slices, tomato slices, and basil leaves on a platter in an alternating pattern (i.e. a slice of mozzarella followed by a slice of tomato followed by a basil leaf, repeat). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze. Each “stack” (1 slice mozzarella + 1 slice tomato + 1 basil leaf with oil and glaze) is a serving.
MYWW SMARTPOINTS PER (1 stack) SERVING: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Green: 3 SmartPoints/ Blue: 3 SmartPoints/ Purple: 3 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
2 per (1 stack) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
Nutrition Information per (1 stack) serving:
83 calories, 3 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 6 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 5 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)