One-Pot Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta
This easy, tasty One-Pot Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta is a weeknight comfort food recipe your whole family will love. This lightened-up dish is savory and a little sweet from the marsala wine, with a rich, creamy sauce that doesn’t taste light at all. The chicken, pasta, and mushrooms make this hearty and filling, and everything cooks in one pot for easy clean up. I hate doing dishes, so I absolutely love a one-pot meal! Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite dishes to get at an Italian restaurant, so bringing those flavors to a one-pot pasta dish is pure comfort food for me. Better still, a slightly rounded cup serving is just 353 calories or between 4-9 WW Personal Points, depending on your ZeroPoint foods. To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, click here.
The entire pot of this Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta measured at almost nine cups, so I divided it into 8 servings of one slightly rounded cup each. I like to serve this dish with a side salad of leafy greens, cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette, but it would also be tasty with roasted vegetables or a caprese salad.
Cutting up the chicken
I often buy a big pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts at the store and then use kitchen shears to trim them down to make 5-6 oz cutlets to use in recipes. Everything I cut off to make the cutlets gets cut into chunks to either make chicken bites or go in recipes like this One-Pot Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta! It’s easy to weigh out 1 lb or 1.5 lb of chicken chunks and freeze them for later in a quart size freezer bag. That way, I always have some on hand! Buying the bulk packs of chicken breasts is cost-effective, and cutting them into cutlets and bites ensured I have what I need on hand when I go to make a recipe. I find that kitchen shears make this task go quicker and easier than using a knife, so I highly recommend using shears like these (affiliate link).
More Tasty One-Pot Meals
Looking for more tasty one-pot comfort food recipes like this One-Pot Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta? Check out my One-Pot Chicken Florentine Mac and Cheese, One-Pot Meatballs and Macaroni, One-Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta with Chicken and Spinach, One-Pot Turkey and Veggie Spaghetti, One-Pot Cheesy Chili Mac, One-Pot Creamy Chicken Piccata Pasta, One-Pot Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta, One-Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, Lemon Garlic Chicken and Beans Skillet, One-Pot Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta, One-Pot Spicy Dirty Rice with Chicken and Sausage, Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet, White Chicken Chili, Turkey Sloppy Joe Pasta, Chicken Pot Pasta, Beef Enchilada Pasta Skillet, Mexican Chicken Cauliflower Rice Skillet, and so many more in the One-Pot Meals category of my recipe index!
One-Pot Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite-sized chunks
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅔ cup Marsala wine, divided (measure out 2/3 cup to start and then take from there)
- 4 tablespoons light butter, (I use Land O’Lakes light butter with canola oil in the tub)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 oz dry whole wheat pasta, I used rotini
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 5 QT Dutch oven or large pot and bring to medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the hot oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes until cooked through and browned. If chicken releases liquid while cooking, drain and discard the liquid as needed so the chicken will sauté, not steam/boil. Add the garlic, the mushrooms, and 3 tablespoons of the marsala wine and stir together. Cook for 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft. Remove the chicken/mushroom mixture to a side plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the butter to the pot. When the butter is melted, whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until combined with the butter (will form a paste). Cook that for about a minute and then slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time to combine it smoothly with the flour mixture. When smooth, add the broth, the remaining marsala wine, the thyme and oregano, and whisk to combine, scraping up any remaining browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Increase the heat to med-high and stir occasionally until boiling. Add the pasta and reduce the heat to med-low. Cook for 10-12 minutes uncovered, stirring every couple minutes to avoid sticking.
- When the pasta is cooked and the sauce is thickened, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Reduce the heat to low and add the reserved chicken and mushrooms back to the pot. Stir everything together and cook for another couple minutes to ensure the reserved ingredients are warm. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
9 per (1 slightly rounded cup) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)